IQD NEWS

IQD NEWS INFORMATION AND TALK

MAY YOUR LIFE BE FILLED WITH JOY WHILE WE WAIT

The site is set up for news and a place to keep informed on the IQD. ..... Thanks go out to www.TruthCall.com/chat for their support in this website

September 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

WORLD

Q&A with Polish Central Bank Governor Marek Belka Iraq

Seck
    Admin
    Admin

Q&A with Polish Central Bank Governor Marek Belka Iraq

Post  Seck on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:53

How does that compare to your experience in Iraq?
    In Iraq, if you were really afraid of being killed, you couldn’t function there. I was careless enough not to really think of the physical danger there although there were some cases when you felt uneasy.

It was of course a difficult task from a substantive point of view. I was disappointed that no matter what I wanted or wished to do in terms of economic reforms was a non-starter because of the difficult security situation. It was a great adventure, even if you became more and more critical of this and that.

What was your biggest professional frustration in Iraq?

Iraq was the only country in the Middle East with the potential to develop its own agriculture. It was Saddam Hussein who killed Iraqi agriculture by introducing a rationing system. We wanted to amend this. We thought it’s a great opportunity to change that system by “monetizing” reforms and liberalizing the market. Our proposals were rejected out of security concerns. It’s a pity because it probably means that many, maybe millions, of jobs were lost in this country. Once you stop cultivating land in the Middle East, it’s almost impossible to get it back. You allow the irrigation system to clog up with sand and that’s it.

This was one case that I remember very well, when we tried to do something positive and it proved to be impossible. Maybe it was simply idealistic and naive to think it was possible to do it there and then.

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 10:35